Thursday, September 17, 2009

S. Dakota day 1.....

I know I am supposed to finish all the blogs with the boys for the summer...but then I thought it would be more appropriate to upload some more updated stuff when my memory is still working....We took a very short trip to S. Dakota last weekend....yeah I know it's a weird place for young people like us....but then it's one of the destinations on my "life time goal" list and I had free miles to use from NW (that goes all the way back to high school....isn't that AMAZING!!!!! Michigan did give me some good stuff I guess...) so S. Dakota we went....

It's the 1st time I actually had a raining vacation sort to speak. Weather was especially bad just for us cuz right after we left it stopped raining...We were lucky to get some photos before the rain started on the 1st day after we got there. I was very glad I kinda pushed Billy to go to Mt. Rushmore right away after we checked in at the hotel. That kinda helped me to get one thing I really wanted to do accomplished and then the rest of the trip I really didn't care much what we did....so the trip turned out to be quite relaxing cuz in the little town there wasn't much to do :)

Here are the photos from the 1st day....

Weather didn't look too appealing when we started driving after we got our rental car....and it looked like nobody lived in the place too....lol...

Mt. Rushmore was around 20 min away from Rapid city, where we stayed at....

1st photo I took of those presidents....almost at the memorial but still from the road...It was a bit stunning to realize I was actually there....

Weather was actually alright when we got there....at least we had some light still. Took some photos at the entrance of the memorial...

The flags are the flags of each state...and on the columns they have the order of when the sates join the union...

There was an outdoor performance area....I wonder if they have any "live" performance here at times...

Photos with the presidents.....without and with flash....

This is the dude who carved the mountain...

The weather got worse and worse just about when we left the place.....but the clouds and sunset colors looked really nice...

We stopped at the small town Keystone for dinner. Went to a little family restaurant again full of old people and had steaks....the worst food I have ever had when I travel actually, but then there weren't that many choices...The small town looked like a western cowboy town...

I was trying to ride on a mini horse...and the skunk hat was made with a whole real skunk...yeah kinda gross but then the fur was really luxurious....

We went back to Mt. Rushmore around 8 for the lighting ceremony. It was 911 when we were there so the flag was half way down...as you can tell the weather was bad....oh and I was amused by their vending machine at the restrooms....

There were only OLD people waiting to see the lighting....I think they were all thinking why there were two "young" and "Asian" people standing there too...and the lighting really wasn't all that impressive, plus it was raining and freezing cold....oh well....life time experience I guess...

No comments: