Friday, June 13, 2008

What good does music do?

Went to the gig rehearsal last night which lasted around 3 hours. The drive was terribly bad with the traffic and took more than 1 hour for me to get to Cerritos. I basically knew nobody at the gig and saw whole bunch of old people in the orchestra. I guess most of them have been in the "gig" industry for a long time....and I guess only LA would be the best place for classical musicians to play weird concerts on contract since we have the entertainment industry in Hollywood to support all activities...

Anyway....I think I saw my viola teacher for one semester from USC at the gig too. I wonder what he was doing playing the gig. He used to play for Boston symphony and was the principle of viola section for LA phil. I have heard about various rumors about him but don't know if any of it is true. I would think playing this kinda gig means nothing to him artistically and financially. I guess there are just musicians who are too bored so they have to take jobs to entertain themselves? Most of the violinists don't even know how much the pay is really....including me....but then I am only there because I didn't want to waste another chance. Oh well....

I wonder what classical musicians are really doing nowadays. It's not like there are a lot of audiences, and it's not like musicians always have enough good concerts to play. I have heard the classical world is dying, but then why are there so many people trying for it anyway? In this bad economy is it worth it to invest into music at all? I don't know...I guess I don't really know what I do for a living is imp after all....:p

No comments: