Monday, February 25, 2008

leadership.....or whatever....

It finally stopped raining and sunshine surely feels nice after so many weeks of rains...I woke up feeling tired but after a cup of coffee, refreshed. Monday is a light day for me so I was naturally in an ok mood. I was light spirited enough to read a little, but then what I read got my brain to spin again....

I was reading this book by 王偉忠 (cuz from the programs he does and his talks on TV I just thought he is an interesting character). He was writing how his 1st and only boss in life affected his whole life. His boss was willing to put his own career at stake and resolve things on behalf of a little staff (just because he thinks anyone deserves to be treated fairly with respect). 王偉忠 said that boss of his who had "shoulders" to take responsibilities in a leadership really changed and affected his whole life and taught him how to treat his own staff.

As I was reading the chapter, I couldn't help feeling a little depressed about Chinese Christian leaders I see nowadays. I myself had two crappy leaders before, who cannot take responsibilities for their own deeds and made their staff suffer (not mentioning the inability to take care of their staff which they try to cover with all kinds of excuses) I also keep on hearing diff. stories on scandalous leaders from ministries and churches....seriously depressing...

I guess this is really just an interesting phenomenon that happens everywhere in our world today. Many people WANT to become a leader but don't really have the GUTS / commitment to really be one. Men are supposed to be leaders of their families, but many of them cannot take up the task with authority nor responsibility. Women want to be leaders because they cannot be treated right with the supposedly designated leaders, namely the men. When women want to lead, it destroys God's original/ideal design and breaks the balance of everything. Everything just gets more messed up starting from each individual family sort to speak....

Many people who don't have the heart to care for others are unfortunately leaders today. I think Billy's dad was right on how leaders should 以德服人. If the leaders don't really have any superior ability or anything that his staff wants to pour their hearts out for, then everything that is left will be all about money. (In a marriage , everything will just be about maintaining the status of being married...) and that.....is exactly why our society today is kinda sad...

Oh well....I guess seeing the problems really doesn't solve any problem. I should drink another cup of coffee and enjoy the sunshine a little before I spoil the whole day. I wish someday I will finally meet a leader who is not so crappy....

1 comment:

Billy said...

I think it's important that we all learn to be both good leaders and good servants. After all, good leader is a good servant... and a good servant is a good leader! ;)

Jesus is a good servant to Father and to us. Jesus is also a good leader for us. We all must learn when to play what role(leader or follower).

And learn the lessons from poor leaders. No need(and no benefit) to be all depressed about it. At least you now know there are good bosses! There are also good husbands... Hey, I know I'm not great and have plenty of room for improvements, but I'm sufficiently 'good', right? ;)

Ultimately, the best leader you can look up to, to get inspired and to imitate is your Lord!

Faithfully "follow" Him is our best chance to "lead" ourselves out of this worldly troubles.