Monday, July 2, 2007

Officially fired James

I officially fired my student James today...(after so many endless and painful lessons in the past months). No...I was not being moody or mean...he earned this believe me...every bit if it. Let me describe what happened today here...

James was trying to drag the time by walking slowly, hiding in rooms, and going to restroom before the lesson started. (wasting at least 5 mins) He played terribly with this "ONE" page I gave him to work on for the past three weeks. (I taught him everything he needed to practice, and even practiced with him for times every single week during lesson...and he still plays IN A WRONG KEY cuz he does not give a damn about right notes.)

Since last week he promised to work on his assignment and I promised I would give him one more week as last chance I kept on listening and working with him till it was way too obvious he either chose to ignore whatever I marked or said, or he must be blind and deaf. 40 min through the lesson I stopped him and asked....

"So....tell me....you ever read anything I mark on your music or write on your notebook? not even after you asked for another chance last week right?" J: "nope" I said "so what do you supposed we should do now? I know you hate to practice and play violin but your dad wants you to. We have already went through this before and I promised you I would do my best to help and make your life easier if you make some effort. Do you ever keep your words?" J: "Sometimes...when I want to do it." Me: "Well....then it's obvious you don't want to keep your words on this case, and there is no point we keep on trying forever wouldn't you say?" J: "I don't know".... Me: "It's ok....You really don't have to know anything since I don't know is often your answer on everything. I KNOW I am not gonna get my life screwed over your attitude toward your life. It really does not matter to me how well you play violin if you don't need my help anyway. We will call it quits and you can try to find yourself another teacher and see if he/she will be able to teach you how to play without practicing."

I told James' mom there is no point for me to kill myself over something we all know not working. I understand how frustrated his parents are with him, but I am not about to ruin my own life with something I have already made enough effort on. I am not even charging my regular fee with them and apparently he does not appreciate any of it. James will have to learn his lessons with his bad attitude somewhere along the way in his life, but not with me any more. I wish he will be able to learn it sooner than later or more people will suffer around him.

James' mom is always embarrassed after his lessons. I feel bad for her cuz James has such a messed up personality he would slam the door on his mom or just about anybody....(even when he knows his dad will give him some spanking afterwards)...Anyway...he is out of my life now. I am going to keep my words and never take him back as a student. I am feeling very happy cuz a final decision is made and I no longer have to suffer from him.

I also just got an e-mail from grandpa Wen, saying he will like to come to the wedding. It's interesting how people decide to show up at a wedding last min. (or cancel of course...) Paul just called to say he cannot make it cuz he is going up to SF...sighs...I guess the number will work out just fine if Wen does come then....oh well...one less day before the whole troublesome event ends....Three more days of painful teaching....Looking fwd to it man....

No comments: