Friday, April 10, 2009

Trip to the little town where dad grew up at....

This was the dinner we had (or was it lunch?) 1st day of 2nd week. I think all I did after Billy left was eat, eat, and eat nonstop....but that was the same thing I did while Billy was here anyway...lol....

This was a strawberry cake Yi-Si ah yi made for me. Quite tasty actually....

On Wed dad and mom wanted to take me somewhere....but I had no idea where I wanted to go....We were originally going to 七股 for seafood, but then took a long detour cuz it was so close to dad's hometown. He "gradually" drove us toward his hometown and we ended up having a trip which excited dad more than any one of us :) We didn't really see anything spectacular, but it was really cool to see how dad had all his memories coming back to him. I was really glad we made the trip actually, cuz it's rare dad gets a chance to go back nowadays since nobody lives there now....The 1st stop we made was to get some popsicles from the so called "sugar factory" (糖廠). Even though I don't understand why dad's so into those popsicles, but I guess it's all about childhood memories. There was also this dog who followed me around to share my popsicle with me. I didn't know dogs are into those either....lol..


Dad's high school. It's actually in 佳里, not 北門.....kinda weird how they have a high school shared by several neighboring small towns...Dad used to take bus in the morning everyday just to go to school.

The front door which used to be the side door according to dad....Pretty nice looking school in this small place I must say....

The fried oyster cakes on the left is the food I remember eating every time we go back to dad's hometown. I don't even remember when was the last time we went, but dad said he hasn't been back since maybe 20+ years ago....quite amazing I still have some memories of the place left...kinda weird....

This is dad's old house where he spent all his years before college. I think it was renovated many years ago, but now nobody lives there...

We visited this "black feet disease" clinic started by doctor 王金河. Even though dad didn't have black feet disease, he had knee arthritis when he was a kid and was treated by doctor Wang at the clinic for a while. Dad recovered there and helped out at the clinic since he took a year off school because of his knee problems. Dad accepted Jesus Christ and later on the whole family came to Christ as well. When we visited the place we accidentally bumped into the nurse who took care of dad at the time as well. She is now a volunteer at the memorial clinic which is open for visit nowadays. Ivan said this place is also written about in his textbook.


Disgusting preserved parts of the body cut off from those black feet patients, which kept Ivan scared for the whole night whenever he thought about them....I forced Ivan to take those photos just so we have a record of them. The 2nd photo here is the clinic logo which I thought is kinda cute....

The church where dad attended when he was sick. He later became a Christian here....

Various food we had from this restaurant in dad's town. The owner happened to be someone dad knew as a kid. I think he used to eat their food growing up. We had mostly seafood since the town is a town with income relying on seafood and salt. The shrimps were what the owner treated us for free :)



This is the last stop we made before we left the town. This was dad's elementary school, and it looks newly renovated....Ivan was so lazy that he took this photo from the car...didn't even step out...but anyway....A long day, but a meaningful trip :)

No comments: