Thursday, April 10, 2008

collecting info while working....

Sleep was getting better but not all that ideal cuz I was probably worried about the tuning session for the songs this morning. I guess I am just not very good at "not worrying for tomorrow"....(or the future in general) So I woke up earlier, got out earlier than planned, and arrived to Kevin's place almost one hour before the appt. I was lucky that when I called Jacob to ask for Kevin's phone numbers Jacob actually picked up the phone. Kevin was nice enough for me to start our session earlier cuz he was wrapping up previous work in the morning anyway.

After importing all the tracks we needed to tune, Kevin listened to the 1st song (which I told him would take the longest to tune) and started smiling. He went "wow....this is gonna be EASY...songs are in such good conditions to tune it will be fast"....and then of course he went on talking about how Pastor Chen's project was way more work for him cuz notes can get 2-3 notes off with the worst incidents...Well...I don't know why I am TOTALLY not surprised about how people complain about working with certain producers....I guess I have been there and seen it all...too bad...

I found out some interesting info with this new engineer I am working with. (yeah....don't ask me why I get to know people's lives....they just tell me....) He is only 28...(yeah can't believe now I am working with people younger than me. I must be turning real old.....), from Canada, and married someone from Hawaii. That was not the most interesting part (I mean a guy being married at his age...). The shocker was that he has been married for almost 10 years now. They have dated back when they were around 15-16, and he got married when he was 19. After hearing that I started to wonder if Jacob is the only Christian engineer who is not married left in the industry....cuz most of them get married super young in the states for some reason...

Kevin and his wife were touring together since they were still kids. He plays the drums and she sings..(yeah perfect match for all the drummers...some worked some didn't....) They stopped touring cuz they had a kid....(and the son is 7 years old now....man...talking about being young parents....amazing....) They have a dog which is 10 years old + acts like a cat. The dog is kinda small and they try to keep him slim.....etc....so how much more do I have to know? I wonder...

We finished tuning three songs in less than 4 hours...That was like super fast but I am sure he completely appreciated how picky I was with the singers when we recorded....cuz seriously we didn't have to do much to make the songs sound decent. Oh...I also found out he and his wife works for a lot of TV and film productions now and he has no business cards cuz they are too busy with cases they don't really care about getting new clients....Keep in mind....all those chatting were done while we were working....pretty efficient I would say....

I guess I am feeling much better on the three songs now since they sound half way decent before mixing. I can't stop worrying about the 4th song now since we don't have the lyrics ready and yet recording is set to be next Sat. I really hope this weekend would be the time we wrap up the lyrics so at least Billy will have a week to learn the words....Ok....have to stop worrying before my head blows now....

No comments: