Friday, January 23, 2009

Being confident?

Billy was writing about his friend and confidence, which kinda just got me thinking about this term "confidence" for the whole day. I think, for me being confident is somehow related to being "secure". What people say really does not matter too much to me when I want to determine if one is confident. Someone saying he is not afraid of losing everything does not really mean much. We would not really know if it is true unless he loses them right? Some people are just lucky to get where they are but getting does not necessarily give them more confidence always.

I have met plenty of people who need to say things just so they can stay confident about themselves....or fake confident in that sense. They are so insecure deep down they need to talk people and themselves into what they are trying to believe. My previous bosses always loved to talk about how much they accomplished as if people who really know the difference would agree with them. I have met some really good musicians who never had to talk much about what they can do, because people can certainly tell by the things they are able to present.....without themselves boasting about it.

I tend to admire those who don't have to talk much but can really be secure of what they are able to do. They don't crave for a stage and don't ask for attentions, but then people can always notice their abilities and presence. Confident people don't really try to "obtain" confidence because they know who they are....just like rich people don't have to go around holding cash in their hands just so people can see it. Those who know how good they are and what they can do, and yet remain humble, are very confident I think. Confident people don't have to tell everyone what they can do because they know what they can do. Confident people don't have to look for added value because they know their own value just the way they are. Being confident, is being secure of oneself...To be secure of oneself, one also needs to know the weaknesses and be cool with that....which....is not exactly easy to do....

Pastor Jim talked about "poise" several times when he was talking about this UCLA coach, and I think confident people are also very poised. I think being calm, in control, and content is also being confident....I guess it's not possible to be confident in every aspect of our lives, but to know who and what we are certainly would help. Paul in the bible taught us how we should look at ourselves with a balanced view, not overly high or low of ourselves. I guess if one can truly do that, then one is confident enough. He/She is then comfortable with his/her own life. He/She knows what he can do and who he/she really is...He/She would be in agreement with himself/herself....I would love to be confident like that, not with faked up confidence of any sort...

No comments: