Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Talking about keeping resources....

Amy Sand called me last week and asked me if I can do her songbook again. It's just amazing how her ministry has been blessed and they are having the 4th album pretty soon!!!!! I guess a good management with business minded people in a ministry is surely a plus on top of all their works in the kingdom of God. Anyway....since I did two other song books for her before I just said yes without thinking....

So....the situation turned out to be hectic because of the computer system we have at home. Apparently Billy's computer just would not cooperate with the music software I am using and none of the Chinese lyrics would come out right. I started trying diff. versions of the software...didn't work....I installed all the Chinese fonts....didn't work....I tried this and that for the whole day yesterday...and NOTHING worked....

As frustrated as I was....I started calling people and writing e-mails to ask for help. I tried to figure out what systems were installed with each computer I used at work. Of course it's not like HI people would know anything about it....and then I tried to ask overseas with friends who use the software....With all the info gathered I guess the conclusion is my music software will only work on Windows XP "Professional" edition.....

Now the problem is....not that many people with new computers have XP on their computers....and vista would for sure not work with Encore on Chinese typing. The ones who have XP does not have the professional edition. Most of them have the Home edition like what Billy has. After going around hitting walls for several days...I decided to find out if I can borrow a computer from somewhere just to get the job done. (thinking it would be a big favor to ask cuz I will need to borrow the comp for like 2-3 weeks...)

Lucky enough...one of the people I called was Tim, who was my ex-coworker from YEARS ago back at COG. He not only was willing to lend me a notebook to work with, but can also put in whatever windows system I wanted to use to type up the music and get through the job. I almost thought about bugging my er- ge for this case but then didn't want to since he has too much to take care of...so....now things "may" be solved if I get the notebook this weekend....just keeping my fingers crossed for now...

Moral of the story....It's amazing how people need diff. resources all the time....I am pretty glad I am not the type of person who throws resources away after they are used for once. I am glad I am not the kinda person who has nobody's phone number in their phone books or e-mail address books. I am blessed to stay friends with most people who I worked with before...cuz they can still help me at various weird times like this time around....:)

No comments: