Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Have been reading...

I have been reading here and there ever since Annie brought me some books back from TW. I guess reading can get a bit addictive at times. I was reading around midnight since Billy was deep asleep, and before I noticed it was passed 1 AM already. The novel I am reading right now is called "Souls Embracing" written by a doctor from Taipei....

The book starts off describing a writer who hasn't done any bestseller in a while. He meets a reporter for her broadcasting show on the radio and befriends with her. The reporter has a stalker co-worker who works in the camera crew. The camera guy hates the writer and tries to catch dirt on the writer cuz he thought the reporter is going out with the writer. The writer has a crazy fan who publishes her writing through the internet using the writer's name. Through some sort of messed up situation with politicians quoting the article, the writer started to become famous all over again (with an article that he never wrote included in his new book).

So you see the basic layout of the story is complicated enough, but this is really just the surface. Deep down I believe the author wants us to see how the media can manipulate and distort the truth to an unbelievable extend. The book also deals with human nature quite a bit. It shows us how one would sacrifice his standard in work and honesty to achieve what is seemingly necessary in our society, "fame", that we all long for....Also, I guess there are just too many sick people around in this world now we can never be sure how things would go in life. I bet the writer never thought he would be threatened by his biggest fan at the end, and the reporter would never expect a co-worker to stalk her and drive her crazy...

Nevertheless this is just a novel that I am reading, even though it gets entertaining to see how things described in the book really happen in reality. I guess novels serves a purpose for us to experience things through the stories without living them ourselves. To some extend it takes imagination to get what the writer is trying to say and really see the whole picture. It's just like watching a movie without having the pictures right in front of your eyes. It takes a lot more imagination to build your own movie by reading the words instead of having them presented for you visually. Who knows? maybe I am more imaginative than I think since I like reading stuff.....

No comments: