Friday, August 29, 2008

You think crying would work? not all the time....

Today is the last Fri I can go without teaching anyone cuz it's the last Fri before EVERYONE starts school. Billy somehow decided to work at home today so I guess it's kinda interesting I am having a person working right next to me while I type and get my morning greetings with most of my MSN friends in the morning. Well....I sold another 5 CDs to a friend this morning so I guess it was somehow productive with the time spent chatting....?

Yesterday I had a bad time with that little girl who claimed she wants to learn violin (which I talked about around 1 month ago....the not yet 7 years old girl). I think this kid really has some issues cuz she usually does not even look up when I ask her simple questions, and it feels like her mom has to beg her to do things. I also found that she has this uncontrollable emotional problems cuz one min she would be alright and happy, and then next min she would be very angry....and I was thinking....what the heck? who is the person that cannot do those simple stuff? what the heck are you angry about?

So anyway....I asked her one simple question "what is the note on your D string if you press down your 2nd finger?" and she started crying when she could not figure out what the note is. It's been like 3 weeks since I asked her to memorize around 10 notes in the 1st position. 1st of all..I do not get why she would not be able to answer "what is one note higher than B?" if she has been playing piano for a while....and then what perplexes me is that there are only 10 notes to memorize!!!! how hard can that be? especially when the mom claims that at home she can always answer pretty quickly?

My suspitions are as followed...It's either 1. the kid is really slow and the mom is lying....or 2. the kid knows she can get away from everything just by crying...or 3. she wants to quit learning now cuz it's difficult and she is trying to put up a show to get out of the whole thing. I think both 2 and 3 are quite possible, but hey I was not the person who begged her to learn. I did not want to take her as a student, and her mom knows very well on that. The kid is just not get whatever she want with me cuz I don't care about her little 30 min payment and would not die without that 25 bucks.....

Knowing the little girl does have a problem (both with her eyes and her emotions....I think the eye problems probably caused the mom to spoil her somehow...) I told her I would let her try one more time in the next lesson. If she wants to put up another show then it will just not work. I was frank to show that she is not the 1st kid who cries in my lessons, and you either deal with your attitudes or there will be more teachers you can find on the street. I am usually friends with my students, but not with the ones who think they can control how I react by putting up a show. My other 8 year old little student knows not to lie when I am around now, and we have a good time even when she is not doing so well with some stuff.

Yeah I guess I am lucky in a way I get to choose who I don't want to teach....but then giving them enough chances before I fire is also a tough task for me. I wish I would not see so many details which may cause the problems on the surface so I can just fire whoever without thinking about it twice....but this is how the world is....messed up in many aspects...usually a messed up kid is kinda created through a messed up environment....and I do know there are other problems in this particular situation....sighs...not gonna mention about it now...not really my business anyway....knowing too much may not always work...right?

No comments: