Thursday, March 6, 2008

Integrity? Flexibility? Who are we lying here?

We were discussing about integrity vs. flexibility last night, and apparently got too deep into the discussion I couldn't stop my brain from spinning for the whole night again. I guess we all adapted some ways of thinking from our environment and who we were with at certain times that each one of us may come up with very diff. definition of terminologies.

I am probably mixing up my "integrity" term more with loyalty, morality, and some personal feelings. On the other hand, "flexibility" sometimes surfaces to me as something that people- pleasers use to get things they want, which becomes more related to "sneaky" in some ways. I have worked with plenty of people who claim themselves to be "flexible", but in fact don't care about lying their ways to get where they want to be. Often times "flexible" people are good at using diff. standards with things, and picking whichever one that benefits them at a given moment.

I personally don't usually have a problem saying "no" to things if I feel I cannot convince my own integrity....(but again I guess whatever I think is integrity may not seem like anything imp to others....which I actually understand and just let it be)...To me, helping someone who I know is stealing would not be in agreement with my integrity. Saying "wow you look so nice" when I in fact think the person is ugly would not really work....and I certainly would not play for someone's wedding if I actually dislike the bride....Now....that seems to be conflicting with our bible teaching of "love one another" right? But then....what is really the definition of love? We love more by lying? by forcing ourselves to believe things we don't believe? doing things we aren't doing with sincerity? It really perplexes me...

However, those "chicken feather garlic skin" kinda things would be easy for people to consider me rigid, full of myself, and hard to deal with....(especially lacking of flexibility). For as far as I am concerned....I don't really care a damn about any people who aren't directly or indirectly connected to my personal life. If you are a stranger, you can be as flexible as you want (even with whole bunch of integrity at the same time if you want). You can probably rob a bank to support your ministry as long as you are not getting caught and God is not punishing you at that given moment....It really does not make a difference in my life....but as for me...There are things I would not do and there are things I would make clear...and that is that....

Am I being harsh with stuff I am saying? Well...my flexible self can take it...but maybe not other people...so who is really the flexible one here? My arranger Scott once told me "e-mail, although convenient, does not convey the true emotions at times" I am gonna borrow that and say "blogs...(or anything you can see or observe from the outside)...may appear to be whatever people are describing, but turn out to be a box of chocolate....cuz you never know what you get at the end..." Yes...my dark side does seem to be taking over and since I don't like Sawyer any more I better put it to rest with a cup of coffee and Psalms.....

1 comment:

Billy said...

Sawyer is just a fictitious character who's LOST!!! Chill out! :p

Being sincere and true to self is nice, but when we become sincere and true in doing bad things, it is not better than doing good with in sincere heart. Both "fake gentleman", and a "true jerk" are bad!!! There's no need to give true jerks applauses for being jerks!

Ideally we ought to be true gentlemen. However, in the real world, this is hard to do! Even Jesus had his struggles prior to crucifixion! So as Pastor Jim said, sometimes, we should just practice to 'act' like a gentlemen. You might see 'acting' as fake, but fact is, when you get used to acting as a gentleman(Christ-like), you just might become a true gentlemen someday.

We ought to stay 'true' to God in whatever ways possible. This is the best chance we have to eventually finding our true selves.

Characters like Sawyer and Kate... they are not really being that true to themselves. Fact is that they hate themselves..., this is why they behave in such manner...