Monday, March 17, 2008

Our March 2008 DC trip, 1st day....

Here is why we took the DC trip....Virgin America had this incredible sale so ticket was super cheap. Their airline is quite new in US since it's really a British airline. We took a flight which flew out from LA at 10:30 PM and then arrived DC before 7 in the morning. With the time change we only got around 4 hours of sleep.....The aircraft was kinda interesting with the light being purple looking like a pub....and you also can do on line chatting with passengers if you know their seat numbers...just some new cool functions :)

After we settled down at the hotel and checked our luggages (we couldn't really check in since we arrived the hotel around 8 in the morning and the check in time was not until 1pm...) we started this incredible 1st day of our trip. Why incredible? cuz I don't think I have ever done so much walking in my entire life. I think even our Florida trip was nothing compared to this.....

Ok...let's get started...We took the metro from Union Station (2 blocks from where we lived) to where George Washington University is. I think the station was called "Foggy Bottom" (just for those who wants to find out how FAR we walked), and walked all the way down to Lincoln Memorial....and then all the other walking activities for the 1st day are listed below.....

Washington Monument looked really small from Lincoln Memorial. We were kinda still happy and energized by this point :)

We walked all the way from Lincoln Memorial to Washington Monument. Along the way there were a lot of trees and also the water of the pool was nice. The squirrels were good at posing and the Canadian geese were good at walking around :)

I think this was the WW II monument or something....Each one represents a state and territory of US.

Billy took the 1st one and I took the 2nd one....I guess I liked the tree more and he liked the flags more...

We really tried hard to get White House in the photos by taking the photos from FAR AWAY.....just because I was too lazy to walk all the way over there....:p By then I was already faking my smile.....

This was just at this metro station. A stranger next to us insisted on taking a photo for us after we took the 1st one...He took two and only this one came out alright. I guess I was already grouchy and didn't really want him to touch my camera.....:p

Does this place look familiar? It's the Library of Congress where they shot "National Treasure II". We also took a pic from outside cuz it's right across from the capital.


We passed by Supreme Court and Billy took a pic of it. The 2nd pic is to show you where we were living...in the "historical district"....and guess what? We walked from the capital back to our hotel !!!!!!

We got out of the hotel again after shower and dragged our dead bodies around just to use up the value of our one day pass + take some night shots of stuff. So here are the night shots of Washington monument and the capital taken from the Smithsonian Station.

Well.....that concludes the 1st day of the trip. We slept around 10 pm and actually did not wake up until 10 AM next morning.....Even with that much sleep we still felt tired 2nd day. I guess we are no longer young......

By the way....thanks to the tripod Ivan gave us back in Feb we were able to take photos without asking any help from strangers who passed by us. :) I am glad only one person volunteered this time. I guess DC people are all too busy to help anyway. hahahaha

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The scenery there is so beautiful!!