Friday, March 28, 2008

Regarding music ???

I was planning to sleep in today cuz teaching schedule starts earlier in the afternoon for Fridays. My plan got destroyed when a friend called to ask me where to find the original version of a translated song by the Christian band Joshua. I have to say....she didn't exactly find the best person to ask since I rarely listen to Christian songs. The best suggestion I could offer was for her to look up info from the Joshua website and see if she can find the original song writers from their power point.

So the incident really got me thinking about why I don't really listen to Christian songs. Well...I guess 1st of all I get bored with same lyrics overly used by majority of Christian song writers, and I get tired of the typical worship music styles. 2nd of all....I believe worship is really not just music on the stage, but in everything we do.....which includes appreciating all kinds of music. To be honest here, Christian music nowadays really does not lead the trend in music thus makes me feel it's pointless to follow what is going on in that particular category.

It's really too bad cuz "once upon the time" Christian music was the pioneer/ dominant type of music in history. Bach, Handel, Mozart and all those famous classical composers all wrote for the God. Black gospel, soul music once lead the trend....even rock song writers wrote about God...but nowadays Christian music is most of the time boring and repetitive....even the type of voice used in most Christian albums sound similar.....

Anyway....I guess musical trend is determined by the majority of listeners. Having that said....it takes time to make changes. I am just not gonna think about it now since I won't be able to make many changes myself. :p

No comments: