Thursday, October 11, 2007

Talking to students....

I have been talking to students a lot for the past two days. I am really not someone who loves to chat with students to kill time...usually I don't even talk about anything that is not from the music they are trying to study.....but I really felt the need to talk to these two who kinda want to major in music later on.

What saddens me is that these two students who wants to try out for music major are doing it because they are not too great with school work, and their parents think music would be an easier way to get into schools. This is really why there are whole bunch of Asian (especially Taiwanese) so called "musicians" out there trying to make a living with music who are not even close to good. It is also why most musicians hate their parents for all the forcing they had to go through growing up.

I basically just told my students to think about what they really want to do in life using myself as an example. My parents didn't really want me to be a musician, but they let me decide what I wanted to do. Due to my stupid decision to be a musician with the talent I have, I went on and got my degree with music.....but end up not exactly enjoying what I do nowadays. Of course I don't hate doing music, but it gets me trapped with no sense of fulfillment in life because of the students I am teaching and the parents I am dealing with.

Stupid parents really annoy me. They wither want their kids to fulfill their dreams, or they don't care if their kids are happy doing what they do. I think kids older than 15 really has a right to make some decisions in their life cuz at the end nobody should live a life just because their parents planned it all for them. Both of the two students I talked to actually have other things in mind that they want to do, and I told them to really work on it and try all possibilities.

I guess not that many people who teach music would tell their students to seriously consider other opportunities in life...cuz at the end I may lose more students than I can afford....but then I would not want to teach those who are not liking what they learn. I think the whole education system is stupid cuz we always end up learning whole bunch of craps we are either not good at or not interested in at all....

It's too bad that not many people know what they want in life earlier in age or else we wouldn't all waste so much time doing meaningless stuff right? (on top of that....how many teachers are actually honest enough not to agree everything the parents are saying regarding how talented their kids are? Teachers do have to be responsible getting a lot of kids into wrong professions thinking they are doing so well with it...Lies really wold not do man...)

No comments: