Monday, August 27, 2007

The waiting process

Working on songs is really an annoying process when waiting and thinking back and forth is involved. It's hard to bump into something good to start with (that is when waiting is involved...), and then whatever good thing you bump into is usually not perfect yet either on the melody or the lyrics. (nothing is ever perfect, right? believe me it's not perfect even after work is done on it...) After cleaning up of the song is done, then sometimes you don't get to find the right arranger or the right singer, or the right whatever....just so many things that can go wrong in the process.

I was working on Cindy's song with Jay this morning, and modification on the lyrics by Jay really didn't impress me much. I do understand it's not that easy to do something based on a set form and everything, but then not seeing anything as "sparkling" just disappoints. It's also frustrating to be a person who can tell the quality of work but not able to deliver the work. For some reason I just have the resistance to write lyrics myself. I would not want to write something that I don't mean to say....oh well...

Jay was making a point saying everyone can be an artist nowadays, but I don't know if I would agree with that. (Oh he said he can be an artist in TW if he wants to....but I don't think everything is all about "wanting" to be or not...) There are certain people who I think I would sign if I own a record company, and there are some who I would choose not to work with even when they think they are all that. Apparently we evaluate people diff. cuz we see diff. aspects of things, and we all have diff. opinions on what matters the most in stuff we do. Having said that....Will I sign Jay as an artist if I have the budget? hum...take a guess...

Anyway...I guess Cindy's song will continue to be a headache till we finish recording it on Sat. I asked Pauline to take a look of the lyrics and see what she can come up with on top of the adjustment Jay had already made. I guess group effort would make it fun, but I am also lucky to have some friends who would not mind helping out with stuff already being contemplated... I think I should pull out one of Pauline's songs that we tried to work on before...but then the music was more meant for kids...oh well...someday...

Another issue I have to solve is who to throw Howard's song to for arrangement...I am quite worried about a simple piano arrangement since we haven't done anything that drastically simple yet....It's very difficult to make things minimum and still sound good....Hopefully the arranger I decide on will be able to help us...sighs...

Arhhhhh.....I hate it when I start to do productions...things keep on spinning in my head....I wonder how I can like and dislike the same thing at the same time and yet survive with it. I guess this is when my multi-personalities become handy huh? sighs....

2 comments:

Billy said...

I like Andy Lau's attitude, as long as he tries his best, he's actually perfectly okay with failure with record sales or box office duds. So just try your best! Whatever 'gifts' God has given you, use them wisely! Finally, instead of keep on asking human friends to help, you can perhaps instant message God and ask Him to fill you with sparkling ideas! ;)

Good luck!

Funky Thistle said...

Yeah yeah....he can say that because he does not have to worry about what the results are now he is famous...I guess I can say that also since I don't even really have any record sales...:p