Monday, June 4, 2007

Happiness?

I was reading something and came across to this info...."As Abraham Lincoln once said, 'Most people are as happy as they make up their minds to be.' " I wonder how he made up his mind to be since rumor has it Lincoln had depression. I guess people who try to persuade others to be happy are not exactly persuasive sometimes. It is very interesting how everyone is talking about how to stay happy nowadays. I often doubt who is really able to define the term happiness anyway?

The article I was reading also said "One route to more happiness is called 'flow,' an engrossing state that comes during creative or playful activity, psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi has found. Athletes, musicians, writers, gamers, and religious adherents know the feeling. It comes less from what you're doing than from how you do it."

I wonder if that is why most musicians and those included above are usually addicted to work. Is it because they are happy doing what they do? or is it because they are addicted to the flow cuz it stops them from thinking or being unhappy? Is that why once the flow is interrupted (losing job or motivations sort to speak) they would feel doomed?

Just some weird thoughts to throw in since it's Mon. It's kinda weird the temperature is high while the sky feels a little cloudy. That almost reminds me of summer days in TW with the typhoons and all. I have one more hour before I have to start my teaching schedule for the week....better enjoy it now before the 1st three hours of teaching of this week starts. :p

No comments: