Friday, June 22, 2007

"Promise" is such an over rated term...

"Promise" is something not many people actually keep nowadays. It is becoming more like something only a politician would use. The term is only thrown out when people are not sure if they will fulfill what they say, but at the same time wants a positive reaction from whoever they are talking to. I have had enough over promising incidents recently I think people should just stop using the term so it will still mean what it's supposed to mean in the future.

I guess the biggest disappointment came from a dear friend who said he was coming to attend our wedding but backed out. I am really not a big wedding fan (all my close friends know) and don't really care if people come or not if I am not close with the person. (and believe me I am not that close with many people..) I also do not expect people to come to my wedding from overseas cuz I know how much trouble it is if it's just for an one day event.

What bothers me the most is....everyone I know from Asia gets really excited about the whole wedding thing once they heard it, and then they promise to come...only to cancel out at the end. I am the kinda person who would not mention anything if I don't think I would be able to make it. It's ok to not be able to do certain things...(life just gets out of hand anyway)....but it's not ok to promise doing it when you are not sure that you can.

I have had enough training from my previous bosses that I should of get used to all those unfulfilled promises, but somehow it still pisses me off big time when people try to make a good impression saying things which would never happen in the 1st place. It is simply just a very irresponsible thing to do no matter it is out of good intension or just out of stupidity.

My lawyer had to cancel our original interview preparation appt a day before the appt (at 4:30 for an appt which was set to be 4 next day). They had at least more than three weeks to reschedule it but chose to not know their court appt until the last min. Right....when lawyers are so stupid and lie, I wonder why we can't tell if someone is a real criminal...

Jay will probably have to write a song by himself for our "special music" part of the wedding. Obviously the wedding is not special enough for our adopted baba to write a song on time after few months of chasing him for the song by Jay. I should of just leave that "special music" out like I wanted to if I didn't listen to Jay saying Baba would make it. After all his promised deadlines NEVER happened...I don't know what is there for me not to learn my lessons.

Jay also told me Jacob's band (which I escaped from last year) is probably not gonna have anything put together now. Thinking back about all the promises on making an album and all the "great but not so clear" visions, I am glad this is one thing I didn't remain stupid for. (even though I was stupid on hoping something good would happen with the band for at least 2 years....yeah...dumb...dumb....)

I wonder why ministry leaders often times have to "over promise" so everything looks like it's working for God's kingdom? Honestly....I think all the over promising leaders are the reason why our so called "kingdom" is looking like it is right now in most Chinese Christian communities. People are always looking forward to do "big things" but nobody wants to stay down to earth taking small steps... (and maybe keeping their promises would help?...)

My long time friend promised to be my wedding coordinator whenever I get married....and of course that is not happening....(I doubt she ever took that seriously or even remember the promise anyway...) Instead I am having Er-ge who is so busy traveling and raising his family (currently in China too..) to worry about my wedding more than I do....(even though he is not able to do anything much....but it's the heart that counts..oh...and he loves having meeting with us.....)

Annie also helped a great deal making our invitations and now on programs. Jay is stressed trying to pull the band together on top of that dealing with a missing "special song"... Joelle...poor Joelle....she is so busy preparing for her friend's wedding and yet may need to learn a new song next week....(so she can sing with Jay as a duet...) She even remembered my request of asking her to sing, even though I never ask her again cuz I thought it would be too much trouble for her.

I can go on and on and on to show you how "promise" is such an over rated term nowadays, but I am not sure it is a good idea for me to stay in crappy mood now. I guess there are some people who still take promises seriously, and also people who would do what they say...it's just sad that the proportion is about 2 out of 10 people I know.

I don't know what is up with our education nowadays. People can't even be on time you know? Time and deadline promised do not really mean anything now. Is it just because everyone is so self centered they don't understand people can actually be waiting for them? Let your yes be yes and no be no + mean what you say is such a difficult thing huh? I guess it is apparently....cuz I am saying "promise" is an over rated term...it does not mean all that if you think it does....

No comments: