Sunday, May 13, 2007

Competitiveness

People can really get competitive.....in the weirdest ways....

We went to Tony and Patty's wedding yesterday, and Hui-Ling jie was also there at the wedding. She was saying how she likes to watch people's attires in weddings and that is basically the only thing she is interested every time she goes to a wedding. (I know...very weird reason indeed.)

I noticed how girls try to look their best when they go to weddings and thought that was some sort of competitiveness right there. Later I detected how I was looking into details of their wedding such as flowers, decoration colors, clothes, vows, pastor, music, number of guests, etc. I was not only paying attention to them, but also trying to go through each category comparing to our wedding. Right....talking about being competitive.....

I saw a few unexpected people at the wedding. I saw Max Wu who wrote Ed's song with me, and the other Max who I didn't see for years. (who happens to be one of the groomsman). I guess this is really a small world after all... One thing I didn't really understand was how the bride's maids and groomsmen kept on facing the audience throughout the whole ceremony. I thought that was entertaining... maybe Tony was trying to let the guests look at them more and get distracted...?

We had to catch a party at Daniel Ortega's house at night. (Billy's college friend and co-worker now) It's also a set up dinner for his other friend Nader, the Palestinian. I think Billy's long term friends seem to be easy to get along with. I got really entertained when Daniel was explaining how to arrange and eat the Mexican food that he made (The Tacos)...cuz I am honest not interested in Mexican food AT ALL!!!!!

We had to play this "pop culture" DVD game that Daniel's wife Alta got after dinner. I guess I am just not that in sync with US pop culture. I had a lot of fun watching people fighting over answers & scores though. You can totally see their personalities when people play games. Some people really get ticked off when they are not winning, and Natalie was completely pissed off by how Nader was getting all the answers right.

It's amazing to see how one (Nader in this case) can memorize so many trivial things....I mean...name of the dog for the Brady family? what the heck? Many of the questions were kinda old for me too....some of the events were happening before I was born!!! None of the music questions were related to classical music...This is definitely not something for me to play and win. It was just a very interesting game to participate in and observe if you are not there to win. :p

Nader was the big winner and I am sure the girl they were trying to set him up with liked him even more after the game. He was getting a kick out of it too cuz he seemed like he would not mind staying longer and play one more round. People are indeed talented in diff. ways I tell you...hehehe....Natalie on the other hand, had to deal with her competitive nature a bit. I was very amused listening to her conversation with Tigrant. I think Tigrant was right about how Natalie would be more suitable to be a lawyer than him.

I thought I was pretty chilled when people were trying to compete on things I have no idea about. I only need to win on things I know I can win. I guess that has something to do with my "control freak" nature... When it comes to things I can't control or has no say about...I just automatically drop the case right away. Anyway....it was a long day...but quite entertaining over all. :)